Whether you are looking for a portable massage table for your practice or home use, a folding massage table will be a great choice. They are designed to be portable and lightweight. If you are not planning to use the table each day, you can always fold it for storage. Portable massage tables are also a perfect choice for massage therapists who need a table that they can carry when visiting their clients. The tables come with accessories like the armrests and the headrest.
Apart from being easier to transport, portable massage tables are of adjustable height, meaning that you can adjust yours to match your needs or those of your clients. The market offers a wide range of massage tables each offering a different feature. You should know the features you need when buying one to avoid making the wrong decision. This buying guide offers information, including the top 10 portable massage table reviews and buying guides to help you buy the right product. The process of buying the best portable massage table in 2020 should not be hard.
Related:The 10 Best Percussion Massagers
Best Overall: EARTHLITE Portable Massage Table
The EARTHLITE Portable Massage Table Package AVALON has remained a top choice for many people. That is because the table is lightweight. You can transport it to any place easily. One of the key things you will immediately notice about the table is the used of eco-friendly materials that will not affect the environment in any way. It uses hard maple wood to make the frame.
The table is not only strong but it is also durable. It lasts for many years compared to the many cheap options offered in the market. Its face cradle is adjustable making the product more convenient and giving more value for your money. It has a heavy-duty case to facilitate safer storage and easier transport. The carry case comes with additional pockets to hold the massage accessories and oil.
- Measures 30 inches by 73 inches
- Features proprietary form-fit memory cushion
- Rounded corner table with water and oil resistant fabric
- Portable and easier to store
- Brand: ARTHLITE
- Product Dimension: 30 inches by 73 inches
- Product weight: 34 pounds
- Made of quality hard maple wood for durability
- Built-in deluxe face cradle that is adjustable to improve the comfort of clients
- Features eco-friendly design
- The price is very high
Best Comfortable: Master Massage Montour Lx Massage Table
After looking at the available massage tables in the market, you will realize that the Master Massage 30” Montour Lx Massage Table Package with 3″ Memory Foam, Dove Grey is among the few great portable massage tables you will ever get your hands on. The product is from Master Massage, one of the reputable producers of massage items and currently, it is among the most comfortable. It boasts a memory foam pad fitted on the top to allow your clients to relax during the massage sessions.
The portable table measures 30 inches by 84 inches by 24-34 inches (adjustable height) meaning that you can customize it to match your needs and those of your client. The weight of the table alone stands at 34 pounds and the Dove Gay PU upholstery material is water and oil resistant. Its denim-like reinforcement backing adds to the durability and the manufacturer covers it with 5 years warranty. The table also comes with an adjustable face cradle, 75 pack disposable face covers, memory foam face cushion, comfort bolster, padded Florida Style stationery arm shelf 4-Pack Spa CD package and free four-pocket carrying case.
- Measures 30 inches by 84 inches by 24-34 inches (adjustable height)
- Weighs 34 pounds
- The Dove Gray PU upholstery is water and oil resistant
- 3 inches thick cushion of Multi-Layer Small Cell foam
- Brand: Master Massage
- Product Dimension: 30 inches by 84 inches by 24-34 inches (adjustable height)
- Product weight: 34 pounds
- Very stable
- Comfy padding
- Packed with freebies
- High price point
- Flimsy carrying bag
Best Value: Artechworks Portable Massage Table
If you need something simple but made of quality materials and offering appropriate functions that you would expect on the best portable massage table, the Artechworks 84″ Professional 2 Folding Portable Lightweight Massage Table Facial Salon Spa Tattoo Bed With Aluminum Leg (2.56″ Thick Cushion of Foam) is worth buying. The table features a high-quality aluminum frame that helps ensure durability and supports large clients while providing stability when placed on the floor. The table will support clients weighing 500 pounds or less.
Even more, the Artechworks 84 Inches Professional 2 Folding Portable Lightweight Massage table boasts a manual height adjustability system. Even though it takes more effort to adjust its height compared to the available automatic options, it offers better flexibility of how high you can raise the table from the ground. The simple push-button comes in handy when adjusting the surface height. Lastly, high-density memory foam maximizes comfort.
- Multilayer high-density luxury padding for a comfortable massage experience
- Push-button numbered leg adjusters for fast, easy and accurate adjustment of the height
- Features aluminium legs
- Measures 83.86 inches by 27.95 inches by 25-33.27 inches (adjustable height)
- No-skid, non-mark foot pads/li>
- Brand: Artechworks
- Product Dimension: 83.86 inches by 27.95 inches by 25-33.27 inches (adjustable height)
- Product weight: 27.6 pounds
- It is of lightweight
- The upper surface boasts a base layer made of quality wooden material for stability and durability
- Easy to setup
- Comes with a carrying bag for easier storage and transport
- The manual height adjustable system is inconvenient
Saloniture Portable Massage Table
The Saloniture Portable Physical Therapy Massage Table combines convenience and comfort in a fold-and-carry design that is ideal for certified massage and physical therapists in addition to home bodywork enthusiasts. The table boasts professional-grade craftsmanship, which includes a sturdy hardwood frame and double tension knobs on all legs for more stability. The support cables consist of high-quality steel – the same steel used to make automobile brakes – to support up to 450 pounds.
The Saloniture Portable Physical Therapy Massage Table features deluxe high-density foam for ample support while still contouring to the client’s body. It provides luxurious comfort for the client. Moreover, the manufacturer fits it with an adjustable table extender and headrest for faster customization. It combines performance with value and measures 36 inches by 33 inches when closed and 72 inches by 33 inches by 16-24 inches (adjustable height) when open.
- Features deluxe cushioning for ultimate comfort
- Strong sturdy support
- It is convenient and portable
- Oil and waterproof
- Features adjustable height
- Brand: Saloniture
- Product Dimension: 72 inches by 33 inches x 16-24 inches (adjustable height)
- Product weight:37 pounds
- Very light to facilitate smooth movement
- Oil and waterproof for durability
- Features an adjustable height
- Comes with adjustable shoulder straps and side pockets to hold your massage supplies and side pockets
Best Stability: Saloniture Professional Portable Massage Table
The Saloniture Professional Portable Massage Table with Backrest combines luxuriousness in one convenient fold-and-carry design. It is perfect for both massage therapists and at-home massage enthusiasts. The table boasts professional-grade craftsmanship, which includes a strong hardwood frame and double tension knobs on every leg for added stability. The support cables are made of the quality steel used to make automobile brakes. That means the table can support around 450 pounds.
The manufacturer ultra-pads it with deluxe high-density foam to provide ample support and contour the body. That should tell you that your clients would enjoy luxurious comfort. This table combines affordable value with performance to offer complete massage solutions. Overall, when folded, the massage table measures 36 inches by 28 inches. The standing dimensions stand at 72 inches by 28 inches and the height is adjustable from 23 inches to 33 inches. For many years, Saloniture has been specializing in the manufacture of quality massage accessories and equipment and it has been a preferred brand for industry professionals.
- Feature deluxe cushioning for ultimate cushioning
- Features hardwood frame in addition to durable steel support cables to accommodate a large weight
- Lightweight and sturdy to allow transport
- It is oil and waterproof
- Comes with detachable accessories
- Brand: Saloniture
- Product Dimension: 36 x 8 ½ x 28 inches when closed and 84 inches by 37 inches by 28 inches when open
- Product weight:43 pounds
- The tabletop is removable for fast setup
- Made of sturdy hardwood and steel material
- The fold-and-carry design is ideal for both professional therapists and at-home massage enthusiasts
- Comes with a nylon carry case
- The manufacturer uses less than ½ inches screw to connect the parts
- The accessories have man sharp edges
Best Budget: Saloniture Portable Folding Massage Table
This Saloniture portable massage table offers unmatched comfort in a simple design. The manufacturer adopted an easier to use the design so that the table can deliver satisfaction to both the therapist and bodywork enthusiasts. The professional-grade table boasts a hardwood frame and high-quality foam padding to accommodate unbelievable weight capacity. Each leg features double tension knobs to enhance stability and the support cables can support around 450 pounds. Thanks to its quality steel material, which is equivalent to the materials used to make the automobile brake systems.
That is not all. The table comes with many impressive features to benefit the users. Its foldability and adjustability deliver maximum soothing comfort. All the components of the table are adjustable to offer customizable comfort that matches the needs and preferences of different clients. You will have a nylon carry case to transport it to any place. The case also comes with enough pockets to hold all the massage accessories.
The manufacturer builds the lightweight but sturdy table in a fold-and-carry design to allow easier breakdown and setup. It weighs 37 pounds and it can hold all your accessories if the need arises. The two chrome clasps will lock it perfectly and the double handles will allow efficient travel. The durable nylon carrying case comes with adjustable shoulder straps and side pocket to hold you massage supplies and oils. Keep in mind that the table is water- and oil proof.
- Features deluxe cushioning for ultimate comfort
- Made of hardwood and steel support cables for durability
- It is of lightweight but sturdy
- It is oil and waterproof
- Customizable to match the needs of each client
- Brand: Saloniture
- Product Dimension: 36 inches by 7.25 inches by 28 inches when folded and 84 inches by 37 inches by 28 inches (LxWxH) when standing
- Product weight: 36.7 pounds
- It is durable
- The adjustment part is very easy
- It is strong
- Comes with a carrying case
- Flops downwards when a person lies on it
Best Design: Yaheetech Portable Massage Table
The first thing you will love after buying this product is its easier to assemble design. All you will need to do is unfold it from the middle part and all the legs will fall into the right position. The massage table comes with several removable accessories and the adjustment of its height is a breeze. In fact, you can adjust it from 24 inches to 34 inches within a few minutes. Its manufacturer also offers a headrest, a hand pallet and two armrests, which will make everything easier.
The included backrest will make the massage sessions more relaxing. The table is lightweight and easier to fold in three steps. Moreover, it is easy to clean and it does not come with any synthetic smell. All you need to do is wipe it with a clean wet cloth to remove the grime and dust. It is waterproof and oil-proof too, so you will never worry about stains. The used PVC leatherette is soft and it will last for many years. Overall, the table is inexpensive, super functional and beautiful.
- Can hold 551.2 pounds
- Made of PVC leatherette
- Easy to clean
- Comes with a headrest and backrest extension
- Brand: Yaheetech
- Product Dimension: 83.9 inches by 32.3 inches by 23.8-32.1 inches (adjustable height)
- Product weight: 36.4 pounds
- Easier to assemble
- Easier to carry around due to the foldable design
- Can accommodate the large weight
- It is easy to clean and maintain
- Not the best frame construction
MaxKare Portable Massage Table
The MaxKare Portable Massage Table 84” With Carrying Bag & Accessories, 3 Fold, Extra Wide, Black is the other option that you would not want to miss. It is a good choice for any person in need of a high-quality portable massage table. However, you should be ready to spend $89.
The manufacturer knows that you need something easier to move but one that is properly made. It is made of reinforced hardwood frame and sturdy steel support that maintains stability during the massage.
The maximum weight capacity stands at 496 pounds, which is ideal for most clients. You can fold it and store it or carry it to any place. Lastly, it is waterproof and oil resistant. Speaking of the dimension, it measures 73 inches by 28 inches by 24-34 inches (adjustable height).
- Made of reinforced hardwood frame and sturdy steel support for stability
- Comes with many accessories such as free carry case
- The leather covering material is oil and waterproof
- Features detachable headrest, adjustable backrest, armrests and arm sling
- Brand: MaxKare
- Product Dimension: 73 inches by 28 inches by 24-35 inches (adjustable height)
- Product weight: 30 pounds
- Well built
- Very stable
- Packed with many accessories
- Made of water and oil resistant leather material
- Not everyone will enjoy the height adjustment process
Yaheetech Portable Massage Table
The Yaheetech Massage Table Portable Massage Bed Spa Bed 84 Inch Adjustable 2 Fold Salon Bed Face Cradle Bed with Carrying case/Headrest/Armrest/Hand Pallet is among the portable massage tables that are easy to assemble. It comes with removable accessories and you can adjust the height from 24 inches to 34 inches depending on the needs of your client. The headrest, hand pallet and the two armrests make everything easier.
Lock it with the strong clasps and use the handles to carry it around the room. Due to the foldability and compact shape, you will not need any additional space for storage. After folding it, you can store it in the carry bag for storage. The feet are made of aluminum and therefore they are sturdy enough to accommodate people weigh 550 pounds. And because the producer covers the feet, the friction with the mats will be high so the massage table will remain in place throughout. Lastly, the table is easy to clean and does not come with any synthetic smells.
- Can hold 550 pounds
- It is made of high-quality PVC leatherette
- Comes with headrest and backrest
- Very easy to clean
- Brand: Yaheetech
- Product Dimension: 83.9 Inches by 32.3 inches by 25.2-33.7 inches (adjustable height)
- Product weight: 33.5 lbs
- Easy to assemble
- Comes with a backrest
- No synthetic smells
- Can accommodate people weighing 550 pounds
- The product is a problem when the cords are not aligned properly
Uenjoy Folding Massage Table
The final product today is this portable massage table from Uenjoy. The manufacturer makes it comfortably and sturdily to ensure that both the therapist and the client get the best experience. The high-quality hardwood frame will support any weight below 500 pounds comfortably. What’s more, comfortable padding is beautiful for most users.
The fabric used for the table helps resist water and oil. When it comes to the installation part, you will love all the steps because the process is hassle-free. You will be in a position to adjust its height according to the needs of your client. Lastly, after you receive the table, the manufacturer will provide you with free replacement parts for the whole year.
- Reinforced hardwood frame that will support 500 pounds
- Oil and waterproof material
- Easier to install with a detachable arm sling, headrest and armrests
- Highly portable
- Product Dimension: 84. Inches by 23.6 inches by 22.8-33.5 inches (adjustable height)
- Brand: Uenjoy
- Product Dimension: 84. Inches by 23.6 inches by 22.8-33.5 inches (adjustable height)
- Product weight: 42 pounds
- It is sturdy, comfortable and the weight capacity stands at 500 pounds
- Waterproof and oil resistant
- Very fast and easy to install
- The height is easier to adjust for comfort
- Some people complain that the weight is high
First, what is a massage table?
Traditionally, massage tables are equipment such as boards, tabletops or counters. Today, they are more advanced. The best massage tables are wonderful but functional furniture pieces with padded cushions, legs and other massage accessories. With a massage table, the person doing the massage, whether a student, professional therapist or home user, can work on various body parts with movements, pressure, vibration and some other techniques.
Professional therapists use massage tables to care for their clients, a massage mat on the floor or a massage chair. The client might be partially clothed or unclothed – if they feel more comfortable that way. Massage provides relaxation in addition to helping treat sore muscles, sports injuries and misalignments. At times, the professional massagers will use hand-held massagers to massage the back of their client or foot massagers for clients with special conditions.
What is the difference between a massage chair and table?
Massage chairs are designed to offer relaxing massages that focus on easing up and relieving the tensed muscles in some body parts like the back, shoulders and arms. On the other hand, manufacturers design massage tables to give complete body massage that caters to stress and pain in the body muscles. Massage tables prove more relieving when it comes to de-stressing the body after tiring work routines.
Any individual lying on the massage table can receive any form of massages – such as hot stone, acupressure, shiatsu deep massage and other forms of therapy. However, a massage chair will restrict you on the style and type of massage you receive. Because you will be clothed when enjoying a massage on a chair, the chair cannot apply some types of massage. The chair combines stretching, kneading, pressure and tapping. Moreover, the chair focuses on the back, shoulders, neck and the arms but the advanced chairs can work on the lower body parts too.
Even though massage chairs occupy lesser space than a massage table does, and they are more portable they do not allow the use of massage products like creams and oils because you have to be fully clothed. The massage sessions on chairs are limited to 30 minutes but those on a massage table can take 1 hour. But because you do not have to undress to have a massage on a chair, massage chairs are good for people with privacy concerns.
Types of massage tables
Each of your clients will come with personalized massage needs. So, you must understand the available types of massage tables in the market today. The market offers very many types, meaning that we will only mention the most popular types. Here are the types.
- Sports massage tableAs its name suggests, the sports massage table is made to match the needs of athletes. The table is strong enough to support the weight of the athlete and the massage therapist. And because it is adjustable, the massage therapist can cater to the individual needs of all athletes.
- Ayurvedic massage tableThe ayurvedic massage table comes with thick foam along with special end panels. That ensures that all the oils the masseuse uses during the massage therapy concentrates on one area.
- Reflexology massage tableReflexology massage tables come with specific height adjustments. That allows the therapist to do all the massage from a sitting position. That is unlikely with other types of massage tables.
- Reiki therapist massage tableThe table is designed to allow more room for the knees. The reiki therapist focuses on the head and feet so, extra space for the client is important.
- Pregnant massage tableThe pregnant massage tables are designed for pregnant women. Manufacturers include adjustable footrests and headrest and to help the mother feel relaxed, they ensure that there is adequate space.
Choosing a massage chair for your clients and home use
As a massage therapist, you have to purchase the right massage table. Purchase of the wrong product will affect the quality of services you provide to your clients. So, whether you are a beginner or a professional, here is a guide to help you select the best massage table for your practice. Let us start with the factors that you have to keep in mind when shopping.
- Consider your customersWhen buying a massage table, the first thing that you should consider is customer satisfaction. As a massage therapist, you have to focus on delivering the best services to clients by increasing the comfort level. A quick example, before buying a portable, fixed or hydraulic massage table, you have to consider your target customers. By researching your target clients, you will manage to choose between a portable and indoor use table, the type of padding you need and the size of the massage table.
- Consider the locationApart from your clients, you will have to consider your location. If you prefer to offer the massage services from your home, you will need to buy a highly portable massage table that you can move from one location to the other. But if you already have a good spa where you can invite clients for massage, a fixed massage table might be the best choice. Hydraulic tables are easier to adjust during massage sessions and suitable for therapists who expect many customers of different gender, height and ages. A hydraulic table will help you provide 100 percent satisfaction to all your customers.
- The constructionEven if you are planning to learn massage for personal purposes or fun, you have to buy a durable and heavy-duty massage table. The table must be built of high-quality materials and it should remain stable during a massage. Before buying any massage table, remember to ask the manufacturer of the material used to make it if they do not provide it in the description part. A heavy-duty massage table will last for many years, including when used regularly.
- Height adjusting systemOnly one person should adjust the table during a massage session. So, you have to purchase a table featuring a good height adjustment system. That way, it will never cause any inconvenience or delays when you are doing a massage.
- PaddingIdeally, the massage table will require high-density foam padding. The best foam padding should have a surface that is easier to clean. Even though the massage table will require very little or no maintenance, it has several moving parts that will require regular lubrication, particularly if you never use massage products.
- Decide between aluminium and woodSpeaking of the material used to make the massage table, you will have to choose between aluminium and wood. During the selection, consider your personal preferences because the two materials can make durable massage tables. A quick example, wood provides maximum stability but it can be very heavy when transferring to another place. On the other hand, aluminium is sleek and more stylish than wood. If you need a modernized table featuring a contemporary design, you should go for an aluminium table. Unfortunately, the aluminium table will be prone to corrosion and rust if you neglect it for a very long time.
- FlexibilityYou will never choose the clients you massage and the ones to leave. Therefore, the best thing to do is to buy a massage table that will accommodate all clients. For example, a table with holes for side extensions will be perfect. That way, if you have large clients to massage you will easily extend and adjust your table to accommodate them comfortably.
- The costBe ready to spend more money if you need a sturdy massage table. A poor quality massage table will break easily. Each time you buy a high-quality product, you will avoid high maintenance and repair costs in the long term. Pay closer attention to the used materials and ensure that the table does not feel cheap. Otherwise, the massage experience of your customers will be uncomfortable. A high-quality massage table will provide utmost customer satisfaction and last for many years.
- They are convenient: with a portable massage table, you will get massages at the location of your choice.
- They provide income: you can start your massage practice as a professional at any place, thanks to the portable tables.
- They facilitate complete relaxation: as we have stated, a massage table will help you get a massage from any place. That comes in handy when you are already fatigued or stressed.
Why is a portable massage table important?
So, how do you care for the massage table?
To keep the massage table going and to make part of that soothing environment you make for clients, you have to maintain it in the right shape. The first thing you should do is ensure that it is clean. Use soapy water to clean it after every massage to prevent passing germs from one client to the other. After that, use a non-alcoholic cleanser to clean the tabletop.
The cleanser will help remove the spillages during your previous treatments. If the table has any warmers, remember to remove them at least one time in a day and clean the table thoroughly. Check the frame, bolts, nuts and the knots of your table and if there are any abnormalities, correct them immediately. Such activities will prolong the lifetime of the massage table.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which is the average size of a massage table?A: The average size will highly depend on the brand you choose but most tables are around 30 inches across and around 70 inches long. The height of massage tables can highly vary with the standard height being around 25 inches. Most adjustable tables allow the user to adjust their height to match the needs of their clients. So, you can always have a 40-inches long table.
Q: How heavy should the massage table be?A: For the hydraulic and stationary massage tables, the weight is not important because the manufacturers make them remain in one place. However, if you need a portable massage table, weight should be among the important considerations. Go for a table weighing between 22 pounds and 30 pounds.
Q: Which type of foam should the best massage table boast?A: The best massage table should feature high-density foam. High-density foam does not flatten or compress easily.
Q: How should I adjust the massage table legs?A: To adjust the table, start by flipping it over. After that unscrew and adjust every leg individually. The process will take several minutes when using the tallest setting and it is hard to close so you will have to repeat the process from time to time. Be ready to spend at least 8-10 minutes each time.
Q: Which are the features to look for if I need a comfortable massage table?A: A comfortable massage table should feature a combination of foam density and thickness to offer adequate cushioning. High-density foam will generally hold to its shape in a better way than the other types of foam. Even though it will cost you more money, it will enhance user comfort and durability.
Q: What is the price of a massage table?A: The price of massage tables vary depending on the used materials, type and accessories but you should be ready to spend an amount between $60 and $2,000 for one. An entry-level portable table will cost you between $60 and $125 but the price of a high-quality portable table will be very high. Be ready to spend between $125 and $400 on it. For a stationary table, be ready to pay between $450 and $1,000. For electric or hydraulic massage table, the price will range between $1,200 and $2,000.
Q: How long will my massage table last?A: The lifespan of a massage table highly depends on the construction and the frame material. A table made with hardwood like maple or birch will last for over 10 years but those made of softwood or aluminium will last for very few years.
Q: Is a portable massage table usable for Reiki massage?A: Yes. However, the table can be less or more comfortable for Reiki practice. Most of the portable massage tables available in the market will do the job.
Q: Do manufacturers supply massage tables as fully assembled?A: Massage tables come fully assembled. After buying one, you will only need to remove it from its case and then unfold it. Manufacturers store the head and arm cushions in the folded-up table. The arm cushions feature rods that slide smoothly into one side of the table. On the other hand, the head cushion will feature a rod that slides into the end of your massage table. The assembly part will take less than two minutes.
Q: Which is the appropriate height and width of a massage table?A: Remember to buy a table with the right height and width. Both the therapist and the massage receiver should be comfortable. The width of most massage tables will range between 28 inches and 35 inches and the height will be between 20 inches and 36 inches. Because the width is not adjustable, remember to select a size that will accommodate both the therapist and the receiver – the therapist will bend over the table to offer the massage. Generally, any table with a width between 29 inches and 31 inches will work perfectly.
Some of the available tables allow adjustment of the height. You can lower or raise the table to a height between 10 inches and 31 inches. Ensure that the table touches your high joint if you are the person to give the massage.
Q: Do massage table manufacturers provide warranties?A: Yes. Some tables made of durable wood will come with a lifetime warranty covering the frame. Those made of aluminium or softwood will only offer warranty protection for 1-5 years.
Q: How does static weight or working weight of massage tables differ?A: The working weight of the massage table refers to the weight the table can support when spread across the surface evenly. Do not massage a client if his/her body weight exceeds the working weight of your table. On the other hand, the static weight refers to the amount of weight your massage table will take if something is dropped on it to test the strength. The manufacturer might claim that the static weight limit of the table is 2,000 pounds but that does not mean that the table will hold a person weighing 2,000 pounds.
A massage table comes with many benefits for both the massage practitioner and client. Ensure that the table you intend to buy is easier to use, stable, adjustable and one offering great comfort for the client and therapist. The tables are widely available and they come in various styles, models and colours. Some are expensive and others are inexpensive. Generally, the high-end tables are expensive but the features they offer are worth the cost – especially if you are a massage therapist.
If you need a table that you can carry to any place, choose one of lightweight and ensure that it is stable. Some clients, particularly those new to the world of massage, might feel that the wood structures do not offer adequate support and they might remain anxious during the massage. They will know whether the table is stable when climbing onto it and during the massage.