The demand for massagers has been increasing rapidly. The key reason behind that is that many individuals are suffering from chronic and acute pain silently after working for long hours, particularly when humped on a desktop computer. Professional massage therapists, masseurs and masseuse provide effective results for people dealing with pain. Unfortunately, their sessions are very expensive. For that reason, percussion massagers are recommendable.
A percussion massager is a type of device that works on your body muscles and the deep tissues conveniently and cost-effectively. One of the great things about these tools is that they are usable on any body part that requires attention. We have prepared this buying guide and a list of the top percussion massagers of 2020 to help make your shopping easier.
Related:The 10 Best Portable Massage Tables
Best Overall: Sonic X Percussion Massager
The Sonic X Percussion Massager is among the powerful personal percussion massagers that the market offers. It boasts a powerful motor that is capable of offering 3,200 revolutions per minute. You have a chance of selecting one of the five intensity levels to rejuvenate the achy joints and sore muscles. The product provides a lifetime warranty for the daily support you need. Its rechargeable battery provides adequate power for 6 hours and you will have a carrying case to store it when not in use and carry the four massage heads. Use the round head for your sore muscles and the spinal one for your back. The bullet one is ideal for the achy joints. Use the flat one to massage your muscles deeply.
In addition to the varying speed level, the handheld massager is strong enough to withstand your intense recovery routines. Its durable construction allows it to handle the stress of daily abuse. Moreover, the gun is easy to use because there are no complex steps to follow. You will have an LED panel along with a charging port and ON/OFF switch for better control. It is a good choice for people who need a device that can send relaxation waves to the whole body. If you are an athlete or you want to relax your body muscles, it is worth buying.
- Comes with 2500MAh battery
- Offers 4 massage heads for rigorous and deep tissue massage
- Convenient single button control
- Comes with a protective carrying case
- Nearly soundless brushless motor
- Brand: Sonic
- Quiet operation
- Portable and lightweight
- Easy to use
- Powerful massage
- Quiet operation
- Five-speed levels
- The motor stops working after long use
- The handle is thicker than most people would expect
Best Value: Opove Percussion Massager
Opove Percussion Massager is as good as it looks. It delivers concentrated pressure pulses deep into the user’s muscle tissues. It will work on the knots and tension in your muscles to provide relief from stiff and sore muscles. Apart from improving blood circulation, the deep massage associated with the unit boosts the range of motion. With proper usage, it will help reduce your recovery time after an injury and offer relief from soreness and pain that follows intensive workout sessions such as those you expect in martial arts training. Better still, it will power off automatically after every 10 minutes to protect your body from injuries.
It boasts of an innovative brushless motor and Quiet Glide technology that offers comfortable massage. Its three-speed strength levels allow adjustment of the massage intensity according to the user’s tolerance and needs. After each recharge, the machine will run for at least three hours, which is almost equal to one week of use. The motor can deliver 3,200 percussions per minute. Due to the low weight, you can move with the massager to any place.
- 4 interchangeable head attachments
- Unique Quite Glide technology with a high-torque motor
- Three adjustable speed settings
- The motor delivers 3,200 percussions per minute
- Rechargeable battery lasting for 3 hours after every recharge
- Brand: Opove
- Product weight: 2.2 pounds
- Quiet operation
- Extra comfortable grip
- Super easy to change the attachments
- Comes with a carrying case
- It might overheat within the 10 minutes
Vybe PRO Percussion Massager
This product from Exerscribe is among the premium handheld massagers that will massage your muscles deeply. It is a good choice for people who exercise regularly, engage in sports and those who want to pamper themselves or relax at home after a long time at work. The massage gun offers high-quality construction, which makes it long-lasting. It has five different massage settings in addition to a percussion vibration that delivers 3,200 strokes per minute depending on the chosen speed. The vibration does not feel like that of other massage devices – you will get a real percussion feeling.
The product is not only lightweight but it is also powerful. Its 24V DC motor and the powerful double bearing transmission deliver enough power without noise. The four massage heads allow the user to choose what they need according to the targeted results. A quick example, you can select the head offering deep tissue relaxation. Due to the small size, you can take the device to any place – whether it is to the gym or workplace. Proper use of the Vybe PRO Percussion Massager increases the motion range and relaxes the muscles.
- Compact and functional
- Powerful and quiet
- 2 rechargeable batteries
- Comes with accessories like charger and carrying case
- 9 speeds and powerful percussion vibration
- Brand: Vybe
- Quiet operation
- Deep muscle relaxation
- With pulsating action
- Quality construction
- Ideal for pre and post-workout massages
- The battery lasts for a few minutes
Sonic Percussion Massager
Massage guns offer the pampering and relaxation experience you need after the long day at your workplace or after a stressful day. You do not need any other special tool to enjoy the massage. One of the handheld massage guns in demand today is the Sonic Percussion Massager. The first thing you will love about it is that it comes with five massage heads allowing you to choose the massage speed and intensity you require. The feature also allows the user to target various body parts and muscle groups without any problems. Start with the low pressure and then increase it to get the massage experience you need.
The massage gun has varying speed levels but nothing will damage it including in the high-intensity recovery routine. It features durable construction that allows it to handle the daily abuse and use it encounters. Ease of use is another important feature you will love. There are no complicated steps to follow and the LED panel with on/off switch in addition to a charging port allows easier usage. You can use it to boost your athletic performance or to relax your tight body muscles.
- Easier to use professional results
- Stable construction
- 5 different intensity levels
- LED panel with ON/OFF switch
- Charging port and charger
- Brand: Sonic
- Lightweight and portable design
- Easy to use
- Powerful massage
- Quiet operation
- Five-speed levels
- The motor might stop working after some time of use
VYBE Percussion Massager
If you have been searching for a percussion massager going for less than $200, the VYBE Percussion Massager is an excellent choice. But if you hate loud vibrating noises, you might need to try something different. The loudness is a good sign of powerful percussion, so it depends on whether you want it for light use or daily usage. You will love the massage tips, which offer heads of different sizes – large and standard for the big and small muscle groups such as your back and thighs.
The cone-shaped head is ideal for deep tissue massage and suitable for anyone who would want to get out of the tight knots. At full speed, the device racks up around 2,400 strokes per minute and has 6-speed settings to allow customization of the massage. Regardless of the setting you choose, the massage will feel like percussion and not like strong vibrations. The company backs it up with a 1-year warranty and 30 days money-back guarantee in case the user is not certified.
- 30 days money-back guarantee
- Offers deep tissue massage
- 2400 RPM
- Over 6 speeds
- Brand: Vybe
- Product dimension: 15.1 x 9.9 x 3.2 inches
- Product weight: 3.53 pounds
- Great quality product
- Comes with two rechargeable batteries
- Offers a nice carrying case
- Foam rolling takes time
Mighty Bliss Percussion Massager
The Mighty Bliss Percussion Massager is the other wonderful product on our list today. The product is inexpensive and still provides combined percussion technology and vibration to offer professional experience. Unlike many other devices, it comes with a long handle so that you can use it without asking someone to help you reach some areas of your back.
Its powerful motor produces vibrations of around 3,700RPM. However, you can adjust the setting with the dial situated directly on the massager. And because the machine is battery-operated, you should not worry about any cord getting knotted or a need to get closer to a power port during your massage sessions. Several attachments and accessories will accompany your purchase. Experiment with several of them to know what works perfectly to eliminate back pain. Apart from a back massage, you can use the Mighty Bliss Percussion Massager on any other body part.
- Brilliant slim and lightweight design
- 6 different massage heads
- 120 minutes running time after each recharge
- Cordless design
- Super powerful 3,700 RPM percussion motor
- Brand: Mighty Bliss
- The deep tissue massage technology helps reduce tension in muscles effectively
- Features a longer handle to allow massaging of the deep areas of the neck
- The motor offers 3,700RPM for an effective massaging experience
- Might be very expensive for some individuals
PADO PUREWAVE CM-05 Percussion Massager
PureWave CM-O5 is among the percussion massagers from PADO and a down version of the PADO PUREWAVE CM-07. CM-05 is powerful and operates quietly. Because it is battery operated, you can carry it to any place and use it without the need for a power outlet. You just need to charge it fully and carry it to any place. The curved design allows it to reach all body parts and most of its features make it cheaper than other options.
Its superior percussion motor generates 3,700 RPM to provide deep tissue massage therapy. It also boasts a rechargeable lithium battery, which is another great feature. You just need to recharge the 2200mAH battery and put away the corded charger, which might irritate you during the peaceful massage sessions.
The device comes with a great speed dial controller to facilitate control of vibrating pulses. Remember that the massage will be deep when the vibrations are high but a lower speed is good for joint and tendons massage. The 2200 mAH battery will take one hour to recharge and after that, the handheld massager will work for several hours.
- Motor 7.2 V DC
- Speed ranges between 1500 RPM and3700 RPM
- Battery 2200mAH, lithium
- Weighs 1.65 pounds
- Dimensions 14.75 inches by 2.75 inches by 4 inches
- Brand: PADO
- Product dimension: 14.75 inches by 2.75 inches by 4 inches
- Product weight: 1.65 pounds
- Highly portable
- Offers many attractive features like variable speed and air cushion silicon stick
- Easy to use
- Its price is on the high side
- Not good for people in need of a deep massage
VIKTOR JURGEN Percussion Massager
The Viktor Jurgen Percussion Massager is among the most affordable percussion massagers in the market today. It features a rubber grip that prevents it from slipping out of the user’s hand. Like other handheld massagers, this percussion massager is efficient because you will direct it towards your affected areas without having to compromise the quality. The device fits in its category with good performance after application to the body tissues and muscles to relieve tension and stress. Its powerful motor offers 3,350 pulses each minute for deeper relaxation. Even more, it boasts a long anti-slip handle in addition to a power cord measuring 9.84 feet. The streamlined design contributes to the comfort of use.
Even though it offers soothing massages, some of its features might affect its use. First, it is larger than most other handheld massagers and offers only two heads that pulse. Because it has to accommodate the two heads, the percussion massager’s head is too wide to reach the tight spots. Again, the massager is corded and boasts a thin plastic body. The two features contribute to the high noise it produces. Beyond the few issues, the product is a great investment. Factor in its speed adjustment system and replaceable attachments and you will have a great customizable percussion massager. The design allows you to treat the large surfaces.
- Double head electric massager
- 3 removable massage heads to offer many massaging options
- Its powerful motor runs around 3,350 pulses per minute
- Non-slip and comfortable grip
- 71 inches long cord
- Brand: Victor JURGEN
- Product dimension: 6.7 x 5.5 x 14.6 inches
- Product weight: 3.45 pounds
- Covers very large areas at once
- Rubberized grip
- Easily adjustable settings
- Great for legs and the lower back
- Pulsates instead of spinning
- Bulky design
TheraFlow Percussion Massager
With three head attachments, TheraFlow Percussion Massager allows easier customization. Its settings allow the user to vary the massage intensity, which is a great advantage. It will help you relieve inflammation, pain and many other problems. Even though it comes with a power cord, the device is highly portable. You can use a USB cable to charge it too.
The three head attachments are very similar to the hands of a professional masseuse, so it will massage acupoints powerfully and accurately. Repetitive percussion therapy is known to relieve pain, muscle aches, stress tension, knots and stiffness on the low back, upper back, shoulders, neck, feet and legs. Experts recommend it for individuals suffering from joint pain, fibromyalgia, chronic back pain, arthritis and sports injuries. The three head attachments are made of flexible silicone material that is not too soft or too hard and each of them will provide a unique massage experience.
The powerful therapeutic massage will penetrate deep into your sore muscles and knots in the body, offering relief for body aches and melts the stress and tension away. The product is lightweight and its three different attachment heads allow customization of the massage session according to the user’s preferences. Tune the massage intensity to your desirable massage intensity.
- Consists of 3 massage heads
- Variable massage intensity
- Easy to use
- Corded design
- Brand: TheraFlow
- Product weight: 2.49 pounds
- Offers deep tissue relief
- The extended power cord allows for more flexibility and further reach
- No battery failure
- The portability is limited
Best Portable: ENOWPO Percussion Massager
Take a closer look at this super convenient and stylish device, which is among the market leaders, and you will realize that it is among the professional-grade products. Its regular use will help relieve muscle pain, aches, knots, stress and stiffness in the lower back, upper back, neck, legs, shoulders and feet. Speaking of its rechargeable battery, it lasts for around 180 minutes on a full charge and you can recharge and discharge it for over 500 times. The device has a special feature to prevent overcharging and over-discharging, over-current and short-circuit. Most of the users claim that the unit is perfect for the shoulder, neck, waist, back, hands, legs and feet.
The massager is very small but very powerful. Its ergonomic design and the massage operations reduce the pressure and stress on the wrist so that the user can apply deep tissue massage and pressure. The powerful motor runs a frequency of around 15,000 vibrations per minute. Furthermore, the three massage hands of this device are similar to the hands of professional masseuse and they will therefore comfortably and accurately vibration massage acupoints. Carry the massager in your travel bag, purse or gym bag when traveling.
- Lightweight and portable
- 3 massager heads for fast relief and great results
- Powerful micro massaging motor
- 180 minutes of continuous use
- Global voltage for all countries
- Brand: ENOWPO
- Product dimension: 2.8 x 3.3 x 2.8 inches
- Product weight: 5.1 ounces
- Comes with a rechargeable battery
- Features a powerful micro massaging motor
- It is lightweight and portable
- Comes with many accessories
- The manufacturer does not offer a charger
First, what are Percussion Massagers?
Percussion massagers are tools people use independently to relieve muscle tightness and pain whenever they need to. The massage device applies concentrated pressure pulses deep into the muscle tissue. This type of deep-tissue massage works tension and knots out of the body muscles while enhancing blood flow and the range of motion. With proper use, a percussion massager can reduce the recovery time and relieve body pain, soreness and tension that result from intense martial arts exercise.
Rapid pulsations that the percussion massager delivers softens stiff muscle tissue but you can target the extremely sore muscles by exercising the surrounding body tissues. Eventually, the soothing and softening of the surrounding body tissues will relax and soothe the sore overworked muscles. Most professionals use percussion massagers to reduce discomfort and pain for patients but you can purchase a percussion massager to enjoy similar results at the gym dojo or during your recovery at home.
Which are the features to look for when buying a Percussion Massager?
Even though the market offers many brands that promise different features and benefits, not everything manufacturers claim is true or tested. It is the reason you should start by reading buyer reviews to find out what the users are saying. The same is true for reading buying guides offering factors to look for when searching for the Percussion Massager to buy. Here are some of those factors.
- Ease of use and comfortYou should not have any problems gripping the handheld massager and you should manage to reach all your body parts with it. In other words, the percussion massager should have a long handle. It should also be durable enough for lifetime use. One with a balanced weight is worth buying because you will not be tired after a short time of use.
- PowerYou want the percussion massager to boast a strong motor so that the amount of pressure it applies to your body parts is enough. Some of the units offered in the market might only offer a little buzz that massages the surface. Mostly, the muscle tension and pain is usually deeply rooted in tissue. So, a handheld massager requires adequate horsepower to penetrate the surfaces sufficiently.
- Percussion mechanismPercussion mechanism on your handheld massager, also known as the “hammer”, has to be strong enough so that it penetrates deep into your muscles and transfer vibrations from the motor into the muscle tissue. When the percussion mechanism is flimsy, the power your device’s motor produces will not go far.
- Cordless design Cordless percussion massagers are more convenient and easier to use than the wired versions. Nothing sounds as bad as having to untangle cords from your body constantly when using the percussion massager. Even though the cordless percussion massagers are better than the wired versions, you have to ensure that the power is not compromised. Most battery-powered massagers offer lesser power than the wired versions naturally.
- Heat optionWhile you might not need heat to enjoy your massage sessions, studies have proved that heat application during massage improves the pain relief. Today, getting a handheld massager offering heating features is easy. However, most of them will not have the feature.
- Range of percussion headsMost percussion massagers come with various attachments to help you alter up the types of massage they offer. Ensure that the product you are about to buy offers various massage options.
How to use a Percussion Massager
Before everything else, plug in your percussion massager into the power outlet if it is corded or insert the batteries if you are using a cordless model. Following the directions on the label, put all the required attachments and switch on the massager. Unless your doctor has recommended otherwise, you should start by treating the shoulders and proceed to the area behind your neck. Move the massager from one shoulder to the other, concentrating more on the usually tense muscles. Avoid placing it on those areas where the bones protrude.
Begin with the low setting and increase the speed gradually. Remember that you can adjust the unit as the session continues so that you can select the setting that is more comfortable for you. After you through with the shoulders and the area behind your neck, move to your back and move the device along the spine. Never place the massager over your spine direction. Instead, massage those muscles on the sides of your spine. After the muscles start relaxing, move to the low back, where most muscles are stiff.
After you are through with your back, proceed to the buttocks and focus on your hamstrings, which are known to cause low back pain and other issues. Massage the calves and your abs region – treat the later with the lowest setting of your massager. Apply the unit to the chest area and stimulate the area surrounding your heart to enhance blood flow while massaging your lymphatic nodes to improve immunity. Finally, move to your wrists and arms. A short massage session should last for at least 10-15 minutes.
Benefits of Percussion Massage
The market offers a wide range of percussion massagers, including the powerful professional-grade massagers to the lightweight models that combine vibration and percussion massage. Some models are made specifically for athletes and have proved to be more effective for recovery after rehabilitation and workouts. However, you will enjoy many benefits regardless of the percussion massager you buy. Here are some of the benefits to expect.
- Enhanced athletic performanceProfessional trainers use percussion massagers to enhance the performance of their performance. After each intense workout, they must reduce muscle soreness. Percussion massagers provide strong muscle contractions and therefore reduce the recovery time and the improved blood flow reduces fatigue. That makes the athlete stronger.
- Medical applicationsTherapists may use percussive therapy as a post-surgery treatment because it breaks down the scar tissues while improving lymphatic circulation and increasing venous. That reduces the healing time. Percussion therapy is also effective in the treatment of muscle spasms and stiff joints in addition to elongating muscle fibers. Its use relaxes the fascia and muscles to prevent occurrences of muscle spasms in the future.
- RehabilitationThe therapy speeds up rehabilitation processes of injured body muscles. The injuries can be due to surgery, injury or diseases but the contractions the percussor causes will strengthen the muscles. That is more beneficial for individuals who cannot participate in any form of physical therapy. Therapists use this form of the massager on patients with full or partial paralysis to prevent non-use atrophy, stimulate body muscles and improve reflex responses because your nerves will respond to stimulation.
- Wellness benefitsMassage offers both wellness and health benefits. The wellness benefits include enhanced immunity, reduced blood pressure, improved sleep, toxins elimination, improved digestion, improved tissue/organ health and improved sleep patterns. Percussion massages will also balance your automatic nervous system.
- RelaxationLike other forms of massage, percussion massage is relaxing and the results will be amazing.
- Reduced stress levelsMassage improves oxygen and blood circulation in your body, therefore, promoting deep breathing and relaxation levels. As a result, you will enjoy reduced anxiety and stress.
- Pain reliefPercussion massages will relieve muscle soreness and pain without the need for drugs. Your brain process frequencies are very specific and the percussion massages will interject them to relieve pain.
- ConvenienceAfter buying a percussion massager, you will realize that they are very easy to use and more portable. You can bring yours to the workplace or enjoy a massage when traveling or camping. No masseur or masseuse would follow you around.
- Cosmetic procedures and scaringCosmetic massage helps free adhesions, decreases inflammation and breaks down scar tissues that follow cosmetic procedures. That accelerates the health and recovery time.
- Mobility and flexibilityThe percussion massager will stretch and relax your fascia tissues and as a result, improve your flexibility and mobility.
Is this type of therapy safe for individuals with injuries?
Percussion massage is not safe for all people. So, before you buy a massager, you should consult your doctor. The intensity can be very high therefore worsening some conditions or pain. Some of the conditions and circumstances that can prevent the use of percussion therapy include:
- Lumbar injuries
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Advanced diabetes
- Some types of injuries or chronic back pain
- Blood-thinning medication
The differences between Percussion Massager guns and vibration massagers
Vibration massagers are very similar to percussion massagers. However, there are several notable differences. Here are the key differences to consider when choosing between the two.
- Vibration massagersVibration massagers provide quick soothing massage by targeting the outer layer of the skin. They are ideal for people who want to promote faster healing and those in need of surface-level treatments due to minor aches.
- Percussion massagersPercussion massagers offer many benefits. One of the benefits is that unlike vibration massagers that treat the top surface of your skin, they can treat body muscles deeply. Their rhythmic beating motions are more precise and more effective than vibration massagers are.
Tips for using Percussion Massagers
- Buy a percussion massager with a handle. Also, ensure that it is of great quality. When using it, hold it in one hand and then move it on your back in up and down motions, allowing it to vibration on every painful area. That will help relieve pain out of your body. You can do the massage for 20 minutes each day. Remember to massage the area near your neck for quick relief.
- Relax or sleep on your hard bed facing the roof or sky. The hard surface will support your back. Avoid lying on the bed with the stomach touching the surface and your neck turned to the side. The position adds more pressure to the back and neck. The pressure will affect your back.
- Use a good pillow to support your head and neck when sleeping. Maintaining a good posture when sleeping, moving or sitting comes with many benefits.
- Ask your friend or spouse to massage your back with the device because that would be more convenient.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long should a percussion massage session last?A: Use the handheld massager for only 20-30 seconds on every muscle area. That way, you will enjoy the benefits without injuring yourself or overdoing it.
Q: Is it safe to use the massager daily?A: Unless your physical therapist has indicated otherwise, a percussion massager should be safe. Daily usage will boost your mood, reduce muscle soreness, minimize stress and increase your flexibility.
Q: How hot will the massager get when using the heat function?A: The massage will not be burning hot. It only gets warm to soothe your body muscles.
Q: How much voltage charger is supplied with the percussion massager?A: The charger voltage will range between 100V and 240V.
Q: Should people with artificial cardiac pacemaker use the percussion massager?A: Consult your doctor before using any massage product.
Q: Is a percussion massager good for you?A: You can use a percussion massager regardless of your sex, age or disease without any side effects. By using it regularly, you will reduce the pain and improve blood circulation.
Q: Are percussion massagers better than shiatsu massagers are?A: The two types of massagers offer many benefits but if you compare the two, you will realize that the percussion massagers are ahead of the shiatsu massagers. Percussion massagers are more powerful and versatile. So they will reach all parts of your body easily to relieve pain.
Q: Should I use a percussion massager when pregnant?A: There is no evidence that percussion massagers cause problems to pregnant women by stimulating the pressure points on their back. But because they can cause premature labour, you should avoid their use when pregnant.
Q: Are the devices compatible with flying? We know that some batteries are not accepted on flights.A: The battery is not large and it should be allowed on your flights. If you place it inside your bag, they will pull the bag for closer examination. They do that as a precaution.
If you are feeling tense or your body muscles suffer after workouts, then a percussion massager is worth buying. The market offers many massagers, but none of them will provide the same massage quality. The massagers are lightweight but powerful. Their speed is adjustable and they come with several massage head shapes. The massage head shapes in addition to their quiet operation make them a perfect choice for all people. Most of them are inexpensive.