Common problems like stress, headaches, insomnia, back and neck pain are synonymous with modern life and too familiar to many people. Tranquilizers and pain relievers bring relief, but everyone would want a way of getting rid of the unpleasant symptoms without having to take medication. One of the best methods you might not have tried but one that is more effective when it comes to relieving pain is a massage mat. Massage mats are said to offer various health benefits, mostly in the form of stress and pain relief.
The best massage mats of 2020 allow you to enjoy great on-demand massages, regardless of where you are. You can use yours while lying on the floor, in your bed or seated on your sofa or couch watching your favorite TV shows and movies. In other words, they will help you forget about the regular visits to your masseuse parlor. This guide will help you purchase the best massage mat in 2020. But first, here are the top 10 products to try.
Related:The 10 Best Massage Chair Pads
Best Overall: Belmint Full Body Vibrating Massage Mat
The Belmint Full Body Vibrating Massage Mat weighs only 6.1 pounds, meaning that you can take it with you to any place you want. The vibrating mat is designed to lower blood pressure and improve sleep quality. The full body vibrating massager combines powerful massage motors with a heat function to deliver luxurious spa-like treatment that will make you fall asleep comfortably.
Its innovative design boasts a Shiatsu neck massager comprising of Asian massage techniques that target all troublesome spots surrounding your neck to relieve pain, stress and tensions. The smoothness of the used foam cover allows you to rest in comfort while immersing your mind and soul to unwind mode.
The massager has 10 massage nodes that work on different parts of the body such as the shoulders, neck, lower back, upper back, legs and thighs. With the controller, you will be able to choose one of the 5 massage modes options to personalize your unwinding experience. The modes include Pulsate, Tapping, Rolling, Kneading and Auto mode.
- 15 minutes safety auto shut-off
- 1o powerful vibration motors to give soothing, therapeutic and relaxing vibration massage
- 4 deep-kneading shiatsu massage nodes
- 4 selective zones, 5 vibrating modes and 3 intensity levels
- Warming function for improved blood circulation
- Brand: Belmint
- Product dimension: 65 x 21.5 x 1 inches
- Product weight: 6.1 pounds
- Enjoy personalized massage
- Ideal for stress or back pain relief
- Control the areas to massage
- Add heat if necessary
- The neck massage is not suitable for all sizes
Related:The 10 Best Massage Chairs
est Value: Giantex Massage Mat
Have you been suffering from backache, particularly due to sitting in your office, doing a lot of housework or simply due to old age and infirmity? If yes, the Giantex Massage Mat is the right solution. The massage mat relieves sore muscles and helps the user maintain a healthier life. It offers three massage intensities and 5 vibration modes to help relax your body and to promote blood circulation.
As the user, you will be able to control its heating feature independently to match your needs. You can also use it when sitting, lying down or leaning in your living room. The used flannelette material is of great quality, soft and skin-friendly. Apart from helping you save your pace and time, the foldable design allows you to carry and store the mat easily.
- 5 vibration modes and 3 massage intensities to select from
- 12 V output power
- Heating function along with massage mode for a different massage experience
- Soft flannelette to make you comfortable
- 71 inches long power cord
- Brand: Giantex
- Product dimension: 65.5 inches X 21.5 inches X 8 inches
- Product weight: 7 pounds
- Good quality material
- Very comfortable to use
- Easy to use
- Easier to store after use
- The massaging is not deep enough
Best Design: Belmint Vibrating Massage Mat
Do not allow pains and aches to ruin your day. This professional-grade massage mat from Belmint allows you to enjoy a massage from the comfort of your home. The manufacturer designs it with people who have limited time in mind. It comes with 10 invigorating massage motors to target your back, neck, lumbar and the legs. For better control, the mat features an interactive controller and a built-in heater to make you think that you are at the spa.
Unlike many other mats on the market today, the Belmint Vibrating Massage Mat does not focus on the small areas alone. It provides soothing and relaxing relief to all parts of your body. The massage motors, intensity levels and controllable zones are designed to relieve any pain you might have.
The switchable heat function offers more relief and soothing comfort. To heat up, the massager will only take 7.7 minutes and the temperature can increase to around 140 degrees Fahrenheit, which is ideal for soothing the lumbar area, stimulating the blood flow and reducing stress and anxiety. If you buy the Belmint Vibrating Massager Mat, you are likely to forget the visits to the spa.
- 10 motors to provide enough vibration to relieve aches, stress, tension and fatigue
- Offers both vibration and heat massage to improve blood circulation
- 4 controllable zones and 3 intensity levels
- A Belmint massage pillow with comfortable polyester finished memory foam massage pillow
- Flexible and foldable
- Brand: Belmint
- Product weight: 2 pounds
- The padding is thick and soft
- It is long enough to reach all body parts
- It turns off automatically after running for 20 minutes
- Efficient massage intensity levels
- The back massage dims down after turning on the other areas
Best Budget: Comfier Massage Mat Pad
The Comfier Massage Mat Pad offers several massage modes in addition to heat pads that relieve fatigue and stress to make your whole body feel relaxed and comfortable. With the massager, you will manage to massage specific areas such as legs, back, shoulder or all of them at the same time for the best experience. Speaking of the heat massage feature, the product features two heating pads to deliver soothing warm full back massage, which relaxes tension, promotes blood flow and eliminates muscle soreness.
The massage mattress is flexible and foldable to allow usage on your sofa, bed, recliner, couch or chair. It is made of 100 percent polyester material, which is soft. You will also love the corded remote controller that facilitates easier operation and the integrated strap system that allows you to secure the massager to your chair.
- 10 vibration massage nodes offering full body massage
- 5 massage zones for the shoulder, lumbar, back, leg and thigh
- Variable 3 speeds variable vibration massage intensity including Low, Medium, High
- 5 programs massage modes along with heat and vibration
- Soothing heat therapy
- Brand: Confier
- Smooth massage
- Various rollers
- 15 modes to offer more relaxing massage
- Massage for the entire body
- Not rechargeable
- You have to plug it each time you want to use it
Ajna Acupressure Massage Mat
For those in need of a doctor recommended acupressure mat, the Ajna Acupressure Massage Mat is the best choice. The product is designed to melt away any pain and tension in a natural drug-free manner. It features over 5,000 ergonomically designed spikes to activate the innate healing response of your body and unblock any stagnant energy pathways to leave you feeling fantastic. To use the product, you just need to lie on it and wait for it to stimulate the release of endorphins in your body while lulling you to fall asleep.
With the product, you should expect to experience less stress and anxiety. You can incorporate it into your day when practicing yoga, meditating or working. It will help you with various physical problems such as lower and upper back pain, stiff neck, sciatica, tension headaches and fibromyalgia. If you buy it, you will always wake up feeling relaxed and energized.
- Features certified organic linen
- Over 5000 ergonomically designed spikes to activate the innate healing response of your body
- It uses your body weight to increase blood flow and massage the muscles
- Made of environmentally friendly materials
- Made to last for many days
- Brand: Ajna
- Product dimension: 28.7 inches x 17.7 inches
- It comes with a pillow
- You can set the pressure level to your desired point
- Easier to use and transport
- The material used to make the pillow might not be the best
Spoonk Acupressure Massage Mat
People have used acupressure for many centuries because it rejuvenates and rebalances the body to promote natural healing. The Spoonk Acupressure Massage Mat employs the principle of acupressure to increase blood circulation and help relax the painful and inflamed muscle areas, relieve nerves, muscle and back pain.
It presses the stimulation points on your skin to offer the results. The massage mat offers the benefits of deep tissue massage to lower the cortisol (the stress hormone) and releases endorphins (the feel-good hormones) to help create a positive and relaxed mind. For the best results, lie down against the mat on your bed, when possible direct skin contact for 20-40 minutes.
- Made of 100 percent cotton
- Offers 6,200 massage spikes
- 1 massage groove ball
- Foldable for storage and easier carrying
- Comes with a storage bag
- Brand: Spoonk
- Product dimension: 18 x 8 x 8 inches
- Product weight: 2.9 pounds
- Allows customization of massage sessions
- It will eradicate pain and stress
- You can stand on it to enjoy a foot massage
- It is large enough for the entire back
- The spikes are very sharp
YOGU Acupressure Massage Mat
The YOGU Acupressure Massage Mat helps reduce back pain, muscle tension and headaches. All you need to do lie on it for 10-30 minutes each day. It supports the release of endorphins in the body to relax the back muscles, feet, and neck. The mat is large enough to accommodate your whole body and it comes with a properly designed pillow to allow effective pain relief in the neck.
Due to its versatility, you can take it to any place when traveling or use it in your office. It is made of 100 percent thick cotton. For that reason, the mat is supportive, durable and comfortable against the body. It has thousands of picks strategically placed to offer effective acupressure massage. You can remove the cotton cover for better cleaning and use the acupressure pillow to relieve any pain in your neck. After a short time of use, you will notice changes associated with improved circulation and stress-relief.
- Thick cotton
- Plant-based foam
- Acupressure pillow
- Strategically placed picks
- Portable and lightweight
- Brand: Yogu
- Lightweight for convenient storage and transport
- Elegant and eye-catching design
- Soft material for more comfortable activities
- Easier to clean
- The plastic prongs might leave marks on your back
Nayoya Massage Mat
This product from Nayoya, one of the popular acupressure mats brand, is designed to help relieve any uncomfortable pains and aches. All you need to do is lie on it on your back and it will dispel the pains and aches. Moreover, the massage mat is capable of massaging acupuncture to relieve stress pain and care for your spine while improving blood circulation. The massage points are made of plastic so that they can affect the important acupuncture points directly. You can, therefore, benefit from the mat when practicing Yoga, preparing to sleep or during your sitting meditation.
The interior design is made of high-quality Styrofoam and durable materials for easier use at home. You can treat all forms of spinal discomfort in addition to relieving chronic pain, restoring the flexibility of your body, overcoming posture imbalance and improving flexibility at your neck and shoulders.
- Fibromyalgia relief
- Carry box with a strong handle
- Pillow set
- Build to last
- 6210 acupoints
- Brand: Nayoya
- Product dimension: 9 x 7 x 15 inches
- Product weight: 2 pounds
- Designed for various body exercise
- Lightweight and compact to allow transport to any place
- Allows optimization of pain in the shoulders and neck
- The price is low compared to similar products
- The prongs might be uncomfortable
ENJIFE Acupressure Massage Mat
Acupressure mats are based on the Chinese traditional acupuncture principle and they come with hundreds of acupressure nails, each of them made of hundreds of lotus spikes. So, each mat will have thousands of acupressure points to help reduce muscle tension, headaches and back pain naturally. As the user, you just need to lie on the mat for 10-30 minutes each day. The acupressure massage will release endorphins, which block pain and help relax all muscles in your neck, upper and lower back and the feet.
It is made of natural linen fabric and it is free from any harmful toxins or dyes. However, when using it, you should remember to protect your body. You can use it to treat neck pain, fibromyalgia, back pain, poor blood circulation, insomnia, orange peel tissue and for detoxification. Even more, you can use the mat as an acupressure mattress under your feet when working or as your nail bed before yoga classes to help relieve headaches.
- Natural linen fabric, free from toxic dyes and toxins
- Based on Chinese traditional acupuncture with many acupressure nails
- Useable as an acupressure mat under your feet
- ABS plastic nails
- 18D high-density sponge
- Brand: ENJIFE
- Product dimension: 28 inches by 16.9 inches
- Product weight: 1.7 pounds
- Effective pain reduction
- Use it anywhere and at anytime
- You can use it alone or with the ENJIFE pillow
- You can use it to massage your feet
- The acupressure spikes can be uncomfortable
ProsourceFit Acupressure Massage Mat
This acupressure massage mat from ProsourceFit offers acupressure spikes uniformly to create balanced and uniform pressure that reduces lower back pain perfectly. It provides gentle painless pressure so that the user can relax and release more endorphins in addition to creating special flow and energizing the body. Before you go to bed, you should lie on the mat for at least 15 minutes to calm down slowly and ease the whole body after your long day at work.
The ProsourceFit Acupressure Massage Mat is a full-body massage kit that you can place on the floor, sofa, bed or a rub and massage your feet if they are in pain. The fact that you can roll the mat up like a pillow adds to the benefits. After rolling it, place it under your head to massage the neck each day. Due to the use of durable materials, you should be ready to use it for many years.
- 8,000 acupressure points
- 100 percent thick cotton
- Cushioned foam
- Plant-based eco foam
- 100 percent thick cotton
- Brand: ProsourceFit
- Product dimension: 25 inches by 15 1/3 inches by 1.73 inches
- Product weight: 1.5 pounds
- Equipped with enough softness to support your whole back
- Improved circulation and relaxation for stress and muscle tightness relieve
- Small spikes for an effective massage
- Color diversity to fit in multiple spaces
- Some corners of the mat are sharp
Do massage mats provide any benefits?
That is a common question. The great news is they do offer benefits. They help soothe the tired back muscles with their heart function and loosen the tension and muscle tightness with vibration massage. They offer adequate heat to improve blood circulation in the body and the vibrations work to ease the stresses each day. In addition to increased blood flow and relaxation, massage mats help restore muscle flexibility by stretching the muscles and correcting your poor posture. However, not every massage mat will offer good results. For that reason, we have designed this buying guide to help you with the selection.
- Factors to consider before buying a massage mat
Some manufacturers refer to their products as massage mattresses, mat, pad or mattresses. You can place you on the bed, floor or one of your sofas. The floor is the best option. If the floor surface is level, you can place the massage mat on it and lay comfortably. Some massage therapists also place a massage mat on their massage tables because the heating option makes their clients/patients relax easily. But when choosing a massage mat, here are the key factors to consider.
When buying a body mat, you will be doing that for body relief. So, you do not need one that will increase the pain or introduce side effects. That is the key reason you should go for a mat made of high-quality materials. In addition to the quality aspects, you should ensure that the materials are breathable. For the Lego and spikes block, go for ABS and non-toxic plastic.
- Adhesives used in the construction
The purpose of massage mats is to improve your health. That is why you have to buy one of great quality. Ensure that the manufacturer does not use any type of glue to make the mat. Some producers use glue to attach the spikes. The glues can be toxic.
- Cushioning material
Most of the massage mats in the market are made of polyurethane foam as the primary cushioning material. However, some use non-toxic rubber and other organic fiber. So, when buying you have to consider your tastes and the level of relaxation you need.
- Warranty information
If the manufacturer provides any warranty, you should know that the product is of good quality. Any warranty exceeding one year is good. Money-back guarantees are related to warranties and you should not overlook them too.
What are the benefits of using massage mats?
Massage brings many benefits such as stress relief, relaxation and pain relief. However, massage mats provide the following specific benefits.
- Help decompress after your long day at work
A half-hour massage session after your long day at work or before bedtime will relax your whole body and help you sleep. A relaxed body will reduce stress levels and body hormones. Moreover, reduced stress will help your body recover faster in addition to repairing itself whenever you fall asleep.
- Increased blood flow
The employed heat increases blood flow. As you might already know, increased circulation in your body will help loosen up your body muscles and increase circulation. It will also reduce muscle soreness and heal the microtears.
- Restore lymph flow
Adequate pressure on the acupoints of your body will help restore blood flow and lymph flow. Lymph drainage is responsible for flushing the lymph fluid in your body and any other impurity out of your body. That will keep you healthier and energized after waking up in the morning.
- Eliminates muscle soreness, tightness and adhesion
The vibration from the massage mat along with the heat brings relief to body muscle soreness in addition to breaking the adhesions and tightness in the shoulders, back, thighs and hips. The use of the mat at the end of the day will prevent the build-up of injuries and stress.
Keep in mind that you can only use the massage mats for the backside. You cannot use them to massage the front of your body or the sides. Most models come with auto-shutoff timers or preset timers, which will come into play after the set time. So, you do not have to worry about falling asleep during a massage session.
How to use your acupressure massage mat?
Acupressure mats employ the same principles as acupressure, acupuncture and reflexology. The biggest benefit of acupressure massage mats is that everyone can use them. Unlike traditional acupressure therapy, you do not need any specialized knowledge or training to get results. The mats are affordable and therefore good choices for people who require daily treatments without the need for frequent professional appointments. You can use the mat on its own or supplement it with acupuncture or acupressure appointments. Here is how to use it.
- For migraines, place the acupressure massage mat on a hard surface and lie on it.
- If the mat did not come with a pillow, get a small pillow and place it under your end. After that, drape the acupressure mat over that pillow.
- Relax in that position. Breathe slowly and remember to rock the head from side to side.
- For neck and back treatment, place the acupressure mat on your bed and lie on it. Wear a t-shirt if the sensation is very strong.
- Lie on the mat for around 35-45 minutes.
- When dealing with acute pain, place the massage mat on the floor and pull the knees up towards your chest. Alternatively, roll up the mat to place it under the neck.
- For deep muscle treatment, place the mat on your bed and lay on it. Place a pillow under your head and start breathing deeply for 5 minutes. Remove the mat from your bed and sleep. To relax your abdomen, place the acupressure mat beneath your abdomen for roughly 25 minutes.
- Buy a small size travel mat and use it in combination with your large mat.
- To treat your face, cover your ear with a piece of cloth and position the face on the mat. Lie on each side for roughly 5 minutes. The indentation will take around 15 minutes to disappear. The massage will help improve blood circulation in your face, produce collagen and make it glow.
Are acupressure massage mats the same as yoga mats?
No. Yoga mats do not feature non-toxic plastic spikes on their surface and they do not come with a pillow. The non-toxic plastic spikes, found on the surfaces of acupressure massage mats function as acupressure needles whenever you lay on the mat for a massage session. In other words, they awaken the naturally occurring endorphins when they touch the muscles and tissues in your back. Acupressure clears out any blockages that might have developed in the energy points in your body.
Acupressure is among the most important elements of Chinese medical treatments. According to the Chinese believes, the body has twelve meridians that connect to a network of body organs. Put differently, the body has a consciousness system and when acupressure is introduced as a healing program, the consciousness reacts to the stimulation. Some people think that the results associated with acupressure have placebo effects. Your mind is a key player in pain control, which means that it might be true. In most cases, people get relief after using modern ancient treatment tools.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the full body massage mats?A: Full body massage mats are thin mattresses with 9-12 inbuilt motors that vibrate and rotate after the user plugs the mat into the power outlet and switches it on. The mat massages the upper body down to the legs at the same time.
Q: What is the purpose of an electric massage mat?A: Full body electric massage mats are designed to help relieve muscle stiffness and pain in the neck, back, shoulders, lumbar area and the legs through vibration massage motors. Some people use them for full-body relaxation and stress relief.
Q: Are massage mats safe to use?A: Yes. They are safe to use. Most models feature a pre-set or auto-shutoff function that eliminates any worries that you are likely to fall asleep during a massage session or forget to switch off the massage mat. The function also eliminates any chances of extending the massage session.
Q: Are massage mats safe for pregnant mothers?A: Pregnant women can benefit from massage while in the second and third trimesters but any massage in the first 12 weeks will increase the risk for miscarriage. However, the use of a massage mat during pregnancy is dangerous. Pregnant women should lie on their side when having the massage, something that is impossible with massage mats. Vibrations from the mat might affect the unborn baby or trigger contractions. Before getting any massage, discuss the available alternatives with your doctor.
Q: Are massage mats safe for children?A: Do not use a massage mat on your children. Massage mats are not designed for bodies of children and they are not safe. The mat can stress the kid. But because your children are likely to get stressed too, use your hands to manipulate their little limbs or adjust the pressure on their muscles.
Q: How do massage mats relieve pain?A: Electric massage mats apply vibration massage through inbuilt 9-12 massage motors, which vibrate and rotate over the stiff and aching muscles to relieve them. Some of the mats come with magnets and soothing heat feature to amplify the effects.
Q: How long should you lie on your acupressure massage mat?A: Most individuals prefer lying on the massage mat for 5-10 minutes but the massage session can last for 20-30 minutes each day.
Q: Should I use the massage mat on my bed, floor or when sitting up on my bed watching TV shows?A: Yes. You can place it on the floor, on your bed and use it when sitting up to watch TV shows or movies.
Q: How much should I pay for the massage mat?A: To get a quality massage mat, you should be ready to pay roughly $40-$140 depending on the used materials and the key features.
Q: Does the color of Acupressure massage mats have any meaning?A: No. The color of your acupressure massage mat has nothing to do with its quality or capabilities. However, it just happens by coincidence that acupressure massage mats are black, blue and red.
Massage mats are effective when it comes to relieving tension in the body and you will feel more relaxed after every session. Mats with heat and vibration modes are more soothing. If your goal is to reduce tension, acupressure mats are worth consideration. They are designed for people with neck pain and sciatica. Keep in mind that massage mats tend to break down easily. Other than that, they are fast fixes for the nagging pain and soreness you would want to treat before it worsens. They work as relaxation tools for stressed people and those who feel muscle tension after a long day at work.