Do you experience aches and pains in your daily life? And have you ever wished for a good massager that you can use in your office, sofa or car? Well, believe it or not, best back massagers give you the convenience to enjoy the best massage without paying anyone to do it. Besides, they come in different shapes and forms, with each giving you a unique treatment you desire.
Home massage’ popularity is fast surging as a viable massage alternative for people with tight schedules. It’s also the best option for those who dislike having strangers’ hands at their backs. Research shows that back massagers are effective in stimulating circulation in the body which aids in relaxing stiff muscles in your lower, upper and full back. But there are multiple massagers with different intensities, vibration, and heat options. This can make it hard to choose the perfect device, and it’s the reason we have shortlisted the best devices for you.
Related:The 10 Best Handheld Massagers
Best Overall: RENPHO Back Massager
Renpho Neck &Back Massager is the #1 back massager in the industry. It has a soft massage pillow, unlike other massagers that have a traditional rough massage node. The nodes fit perfectly behind your neck giving you a smooth masseuse. What’s more, the pillow is adjustable to fit many people regardless of their heights.
You’ll lie this customized back Shiatsu that comes with 9 deep-kneading massage nodes that travel up/down to relax your entire back. The three back massage nodes give your body a full massage with an intense concentration on your full, lower& upper back. The device also contains a soothing heat therapy that soothes tired and aching muscles on your neck and back. The seat vibration has three adjustable levels that give you versatility in choosing your massage.
You can use this massager on your sofa, couch, or office chair. It’s designed with the ultimate comfort in mind and has an integrated strapping system that secures it in place to enable you to enjoy your massage without hindrances. Its polyurethane manufacturing material is of high and enables the device to serve you seamlessly. You’ll also find it easier to maintain the device owing to its easy-to-clean material. The device is a perfect gift for your parent or friend who is suffering from neck, back or shoulder pain. It is FDA registered and research shows that using it for 30 mins daily helps improve your overall health.
- Adjustable neck kneading contours well around your neck
- Soothing heat therapy for optimum muscle relaxation
- Ergonomic design for maximum comfort
- User-friendly design in neck massage
- Brand: RENPHO
- Easy installation and setup
- The controller has an intuitive design
- Different settings that offer both softer and rougher massages
- Easy-to-use remote
- Has a heating function that is handy during winters
- Must stay plugged in to use it
- Quite pricey than most models
Related:The 10 Best Foot Massagers
Best Value: Zyllion Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager
If you’re looking for a massager that offers a blend of comfort and deep masseuse, then it’s best you choose this model. It has customizable massage relief that focuses on different parts of your back to relax your muscles. It’s the best tool for people who are 5.2″-6″ and also features an extra set of shiatsu massage nodes with soothing heat function that soothes the pain in your neck area. You can turn this heat function on and off separately, and the device has featured three levels of vibration massage that you can adjust to your preferences.
The device is a must-have for your home and provides the ultimate comfort you desire for the perfect massage session. Whether you are in your chair, recliner, sofa set, dining chair, or office chair, you’ll enjoy a great massage from this device. More so, you’ll be secured to your chair with its elastic straps and also a deluxe, smooth, and silky leatherette that is comfortable to touch and sit on.
You’ll also like the safety standards of the device. That is, an automatic 15-minute shut off feature that protects your device from damage and also cushions you from higher electrical bills in case you forget to switch off the massager. The overheat protection feature ensures your device is operating at the desired temperature range.
- Soothing heat function for aching muscles
- Safe to use
- Three levels of vibration massage for varying massage intensities
- Elastic strap for securing to a chair
- Brand: Zyllion
- Product Dimension: 30* 16.5*7.9 inches
- Product weight: 15.5 pounds
- Excellent build quality
- Great cushion
- Offers excellent choices of massages
- Cheap and fragile remote control
Related:The 10 Best Neck and Shoulder Massagers
Best Design: Gideon Shiatsu Back Massager
Rated #3 in our review Gideon Shiatsu massager is not just a back massager but also an excellent neck massager. It has an extra set of shiatsu massage nodes that are useful for neck massages. What’s more, these nodes have a soothing heat function that you can turn on or off separately plus three vibration massage levels for an enjoyable and flexible massage experience.
Enjoy ultimate comfort as you use the device while on your recliner, office chair, dining chair, or even sofa while securely strapping it to your body with its elastic straps. Besides, it’s made from a plush leatherette material that has a smooth and silky touch that you’ll hardly want to lay your hands off them.
It’s also one of the safest devices to use as it has an automatic 15-minute shut off feature that protects the device against damage. Also, you’ll like the device overheat protection feature that ensures the machine is operating at the desired temperature range for optimum safety. The manufacturer offers a 90-day return period and a one-year warranty for the device, which shows the high confidence they have in this great device.
- Four deep-kneading Shiatsu massage nodes for neck massages
- Heating function for soothing your tired or aching muscles
- Overheat protection & 15-minute auto Shut-off to enhance to protect the device
- Convenient remote control
- Brand: Gideon
- Has a great variety of different settings
- Has an excellent build quality especially the Shiatsu function
- Great cushion with intense massage
- The device is not angled and therefore cannot reach your shoulder muscles and traps well
Related:The 9 Best Head/Scalp Massagers
Best Budget: Zyllion Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager Pillow
If you regularly experience sore muscles and you want a massage that will sort the problem, then it’s vital you get this device. It has 3-dimension deep-kneading Shiatsu modes that will relax your tired and tight muscles. The nodes change their direction every minute for high efficiency and also features an advanced heating function that soothes your aching muscles.
The device is compact and ergonomic, fitting directly behind your neck, abdomen, lower& upper back, and other essential parts of your body. You’ll enjoy a great massage session from this device besides eliminating the need to go for a masseuse. It’s the ideal perfect gift for your parents, spouse, family, or friends on their special day.
The device also contains safety features that protect the device against damage while also cushioning the user. When it exceeds working temperature, it automatically shuts off the motor to enhance device safety and prevent injury to the user. Unless the temperature lowers down, the device will not operate. To use this device, you’ll plug it in a wall plug since its not a rechargeable massager.
- Heating function for soothing aching muscles
- Adjustable straps enable for securing them to any seat
- Ultra-compact &ultra-slim design
- Durable& easy to clean top-quality textured leatherette
- Brand: Zyllion
- Product Dimensions: 13* 9.5*3.5 inches
- Product Weight: 4 Pounds
- It can access harder-to-reach places in the body
- Provides a firm massage
- It’s extremely versatile
- Kneading motion is effective in tackling tension knots
- It is not cordless
Best Shape: IDODO Vibration Car Back Massager
Idodo vibration back massager is the best choice for those who love a blend of versatility and great functionality. It comes with 10 vibrating massaging motors and a soothing heat therapy feature for deeply penetrating your back and thigh to relieve fatigue, stress, and tight muscles. It’s the best device for driving and also improves blood circulation after a long trip or tiring day.
You’ll also like the 5 massage programs that focus on numerous spots on your neck, hip, thighs, lower & upper back. The programs focus on these spots simultaneously in different customizable selections to give you the ultimate comfort and pressure relief. The device is suitable for use in different places as you can fit it to your car seat, home chair, flat sofa and even bed. Enjoy sitting on its comfortable and durable memory foam and fabric. The massager has an adjustable strap that you’ll use it to secure yourself to a seat and enjoy the masseuse.
Besides, you can fold it to its storage after an exciting massage session. The optional heat therapy function on this device is also great, offering you soothing, gentle warmth. The overheat protection system works quite well, protecting your device against damage. It features 15 minutes shut off automatically to prevent it from burdening your body.
- 10 vibrating massage motors offer a customizable massage experience
- Optional Heat therapy function provides soothing, gentle warmth
- Five massaging programs for targeting different parts and muscle groups
- The device fits onto all car seats
- Brand: IDODO
- Product Dimensions: 6* 3* 2 inches
- Easy-to-use remote control
- Heat function of the device relieves driving fatigue
- The different massaging modes work well
- The seat heats up making it useful during winter when your vehicle is freezing
- Produces noisy vibrations which makes it unideal for use in an office environment
- Shorter adapter cord
MaxKare Neck& Back Massager Massage Pillow
Well, if you love an excellent private massage, then this massager is your perfect partner. It comes with four kneading modes and a reinforced heating function that provides a massage synonymous with massage therapists. More so, it also includes a compact pillow massager that customizes your massage experience helping you to relax your tight and overused muscles; this is vital for muscle relief and provides maximum comfort.
The device is also made of 3D Deep-Kneading nodes that move via counter-clockwise and reverses rotations to simulate the real hand kneading experience. Therefore, you’ll feel like a professional massager is massaging you. The optional heating function in the nodes improves your blood circulation and relieves pain in your body. You can also use the device in several parts of your body; whether it’s your neck, calf abdomen, lumbar, shoulder, lower& upper back, you’ll find the device handy for your massage sessions.
Besides, the device has an elastic adjustable on the back that makes it easier to fasten it to a home or car chair. The accompanying AC and DC adapters make it handy for both home and office use. The device also complies with safety standards with its accompanying overheating protection feature and 15-minutes auto-shutoff features that protect the device from damage.
- Four kneading massage nodes to personalize your massage experience
- Optional heating functions soothes your muscles and relieves pain effectively
- Overheat protection, and auto-shutoff feature makes it safe to use
- Convenient for both home and office use
- Brand: MaxKare
- Product Dimensions: 13* 4.5*8.5 inches
- Product Weight: 2.86 pounds
- 1. Automatic direction change option makes it effective
- Has a long cord
- Small and strong
- Easy to use
- The automatic shut-down feature is useful if you forget to switch off the device
- It does not have a rechargeable battery
- It’s made of hard plastic that does not offer a firm massage
VIKTOR JURGEN Neck and Back Massager Pillow
Viktor Jurgen massager is an ergonomically designed massager that fits on your neck and body contours of your shoulder, abdomen, lower & upper back, and thigh areas. It’s made from environmentally-friendly materials that are also safe for skin use. When using the device, wrap the part of the massager in contact with your body to prevent friction and subsequently, injury- to your skin. This prevents the heated area from becoming too warm.
The device also features adjustable handle straps that make it an important customizer to your home, office, or car seat. It’s convenient, easy-to-use, and corded. Its controls are also intuitive and easy-to-use. You can switch on/off the device easily using the control buttons, choose your direction of kneading while using/ not using the heat feature. This device is the ideal mother’s day gift for your mom. You can also gift it to your friends, spouse, and family.
The device has an AC adapter that has excellent security features for maximum protection of your device. It is also FDA-approved and passes health examinations standard in both use and safety standards. Accompanying the device is a 30-day money-back and a 3-year warranty that covers an assortment of quality-related issues.
- Higher safety standards with FDA-approval and overheat protection feature
- Portable & durable four deep-kneading shiatsu massaging rotating balls imitates a real masseuse
- Convenient & easy-to-use corded hand control
- Easy to remove for cleaning
- Brand: Viktor Jurgen
- Product Dimensions: 17* 5* 14 inches
- Product Weight: 3.25 pounds
- High build quality & reasonable price
- It’s useful in treating back and shoulder pains
- Elastic band for car seats and desk chairs
- Great price
- Has no manual use guide
- Has only one kneading setting
Papillon Back Massager
Papillon back massager is famous for its multifunctional use and effectiveness in relieving muscle soreness. The device has an ergonomic design that merges with different contours of your body. The powerful 3D nodes that come with the device automatically changes directions every few minutes to relieve neck pain, back pain, foot pain, and shoulder pain.
It is made from a sofa fabric material that is comfortable to touch, smell, and also skin-friendly. The durable materials are designed to last and will offer you long-term usage. It supports three adjustable speeds that give your body the pressure needed to relieve your muscle pains. It operates at a safe temperature range that prevents low-temperature burns while also giving you a deep tissue kneading massage.
The device also comes with a 15-minute auto shut-off & overheat protection feature. These features protect your device from damage while also helping you lower your energy bills. It’s the perfect gift for your loved one. Whether its Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, Christmas or you are celebrating an anniversary, you’ll find this gift handy to anyone you decide to buy for. The manufacturer also offers three years’ warranty for the product as well as a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re unsatisfied with the product.
- Ergonomic design
- Powerful 3D massage nodes change positions automatically each time
- Three adjustable speeds enable you to get your ideal speed for relieving muscle pain
- Skin-friendly and more comfortable sofa fabric
- Brand: Papillon
- Product Specifications: 11.8* 3.9*7.1 inches
- Offers a stronger massaging action
- It’s thin and lighter than most regular massagers
- It is versatile i.e., you can use it in your car and bed
- Small and easy to store
- Has fewer modes of operation
- It’s not cordless
MagicMakers Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager
If you’re looking for a versatile massager that offers powerful deep-kneading massage, then this device is your perfect massager. The device has 8 powerful 3-Dimension Deep-Kneading Shiatsu Massage nodes that enable you to relieve stress, fatigue as well as muscle pain and lack of sleep. It’s also a mood improver, and the device not only pampers you with a softer massage but also relieve your sore muscles.
It comes with an ergonomic and compact pillow that fits perfectly on your neck, waist, shoulders, upper back, lower back, foot, tights, and legs, giving you the ultimate massage you desire. There is also an optional heat setting that provides you the heat to relieve your pain and make you more relaxed. Its bi-directional movement controls mimic the movement of an expert massager, giving your muscles an ultimate relaxation. The massager auto-reverses each minute to distribute the massage effects evenly around your body for a better and thorough treatment.
The device also contains a 15-minute auto-shutoff feature that protects it from damage. The accompanying DC adapter can work at 110V& 240 V, and an extra DC adapter works in your car. With its portable design, you’ll enjoy a pleasing massage experience regardless of whether you are at your home, office, or car. Its high-elastic shoulder strap has velcro that blends with most chairs giving you the ultimate relaxation you desire.
- 8 Powerful 3-Dimension Deep-Kneading Shiatsu massage nodes
- Ergonomic and compact pillow for the best body fit
- Bi-directional massage directions mimic an in-person massage experience
- Optional heat settings help you relax and relieve pain
- Brand: MagicMakers
- Product Weight: 3.2 pounds
- Has an extra cover that makes it easy to clean
- It supports your body to offer you a deep tissue massage
- Easy to use and put anywhere on your body
- It’s quite affordable
- Heat settings are handy
- Has a short power cord
- Has fewer settings and buttons for customization
Body Back Buddy Trigger Point Back Massager
Do you usually experience muscle knots in your body? And do you want a simple back massager that offers you the pain relief you desire? Well, you’ll find this Back Body device very useful. The device is built with comfort and recovery in mind offering you a full-body self-massage when you need it. Whether you need to calm aches in your back, shoulder, or neck pain, you’ll only require a few moves with the device to relieve them.
What’s more, it comes with effective pressure point therapy that eases tension headaches and sore muscles, helping athletes to recover faster. It features a single-piece rigid construction makes it a durable machine that stands the test of use and time while providing the best masseuse to its users. One of the device top features also lies in its quality. It comes from a medical-grade resin that offers excellent durability and performance. Enjoy using this high-quality device from body Back.
- Effective pressure point therapy for relieving sore muscles
- Single-piece rigid construction
- Made from high quality and medical-grade resin
- Brand: Body Black
- Product Specifications: 25* 16*1 inches
- Product Weight: 1 pound
- Useful for reaching areas that you can hardly reach on your own
- Has an “S” shape that makes it easier to hang it
- Effective in releasing muscle knots
- Has no instructions on using the device
Types of Back Massagers
1. Electric Back Massagers
Electric back massagers usually have a bigger size and function due to their motor. Generally, these devices emit vibrations at different speeds, and they require less effort from the person.
- Chair Back MassagerA chair back massager refers to a device that you can station at home like a chair. It’s the costliest massager but gives you a close to a hands-on massage.An excellent hands-on massage plays a central role in alleviating your back pain. On the same note, a good massage chair helps your muscles to relax without the necessity of person-to-person interaction.
- Chair PadIf your budget is too low for a chair massager, then it’s best to go for a chair pad. The pad hooks over the back and underneath your seat, giving you a full back coverage.
- Handheld massagerA handheld massager is more of a pad or wand that you operate and move with your hand towards the source of pain. It’s the best device for reaching pain points that cannot be accessed by a classic chair pad.
- BeltIf your main pain spot is in your back, then you might want to go for a belt back massager. You can wrap this device on a particular spot or around your shoulders to offer the ultimate pain relief.
- Pillow/ CushionA pillow or cushion massager is best for use on the neck or lower back as you can easily adjust it to where you need the relief.
- TENS UnitA TENS unit is more of a high-tech choice and comes with electrode pads that send pulses on your skin to stimulate your nerves and offer a deep massage.
2. Non-Electric Back Massagers
Non-electric back massagers are used by a person manually to offer relief to specific areas. They include:
- Cane MassagerFrom their name, these massagers are designed to reach particular spots in your back and provide pain relief.
- S-Shaped MassagerAn S-shaped massager is a stick massager that features carefully placed nodes that allows you to maneuver the massager to get the right position.
- Wooden Ball MassagerThese massagers are run over the surface of your skin, rubbing the affected area to offer pain relief and release tension.
- Foam Rollera foam roller has a soft or hard exterior depending on the relief it provides. It is rolled up and down in the affected area to release muscle tension.
- 3 Pong Mini MassagerA 3 Pong mini massager is a simple handheld massager that is useful in releasing workouts tension and knots.
Electric vs Non-Electric Massagers
Non-electric massagers are usually less expensive and cordless. That is, you can use these devices without the need for plugging or recharging them. On the other hand, electric bac massagers are more comfortable to use on your hands, and most offer an utterly hands-free body massage. However, they do require an electrical outlet, batteries, or charging. Therefore, it’s upon you to pick your favorite option.
How to Choose the Best Back Massager- Buyers Guide
- PortabilityIf you desire a massage unit that you can easily carry along, then be interested in one that will allow you to tag it along quickly.
- FunctionsEach massager has different functions, just like their users have different requirements. You can go for a model with extra features such as bells and whistles or opt for one that is entirely manual. This buying guide will enable you to pick the best choice for your needs.
- CostThere are many massagers with each having their unique prices. But when buying one, ensure it contains all features you need at an affordable price. You should do a careful comparison and product education to ensure you get the value for your money.
- VersatilityThe ability to use your back massager at home, office or even car is a significant consideration you should make when buying these devices.
- Return PolicyGreat products have an excellent quality backing, and that includes a more extended return window period.
Helpful Tips for Back Massagers
- Never use an electric neck and back massages in or near water as it could result in personal injuries or damage to the product.
- If you desire an electric massage machine that offers all-over treatment while targeting specific areas at a time, then buy one with pinpoint capabilities
- If you’re a regular traveler and you want to carry along your Shiatsu style electric massager, then buy the most space-saving model possible
- In case you enjoy camping or other activities where you’ll get no access to electricity then buy a model with a rechargeable battery
- For a great relaxing massage session, go for an electric neck and back massager that is controlled by your hand for ease of operation
Reasons for drinking water after a massage
If you had a massage in the past or did some research on the topic, then you might have heard of the importance of drinking water after a massage session. The same applies to a back massager, and it’s essential to drink a glass of water after a thorough massage session with the device.
The reason most experts recommend taking water after a massage is to flush out toxins from your body. Massaging and especially deep tissue massages can help improve circulation in your body, especially in the massaged area. When this occurs, toxins are collected, transported, and expelled from your body. When dehydrated, it’s hard for the body to get rid of the toxins. Therefore, remaining hydrated ensures you expel these waste products faster and effectively.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What exactly is a back massager?A: There are many forms of a back massager, but they’re simply devices that simulate the movements of professional masseurs to provide quick pain relief.
Q: How does a back massager function?A: A back massager mimics a manual back massage. Massage stimulates your circulations and relaxes stiff muscles to offer you quick pain relief. Different massages use different techniques and intensities to target various pains.
Q: Is it safe to use a back massager on my car?A: Yes, as long as you follow all the necessary safety precautions, and your device is designed for car use, then there is no challenge. But if your device is unwieldy, requires multiple adapters to operate, or interferes with your driving in any way, then it’s not safe to use it in your car.
Q: Should my back hurt while I am using a back massager?A: While some people say that experiencing pain when using a back massager is a sign that it’s working, it’s generally misleading. Though you may experience slight discomfort when starting to use a back massager, that should disappear in a couple of days. If the massager continues to hurt you, then you need to stop using it and get another device.
Q: Can my kids use my back massager?A: That’s a tricky question to answer, but the answer is Yes. However, it depends on the age of your children. Children around 7 and 8 years can use it safely under adult supervision. However, do not let younger children use the device to use it as it can be hazardous.
Q: Can I use a back massager while I am pregnant?A: It’s advisable to consult your doctor on whether you should use the device while pregnant It’s also important to check the device user manual for other warnings or precautions.
Q: Can sleeping on a back massager hurt my back?A: Yes, it can. Most back massagers have an auto-shutdown feature to prevent this, but not all of them do. It’s not advisable to sleep on a back massager but instead on your soft mattress.
Q: Can I drive while using my back massager?A: advice from most back massagers indicates that you should not use it while driving. However, you can buy massage cushions for the passenger car seats or one you can use it on your driver seat while the car is stationary.
Q: How long should I use a back massager for?A: The answer depends on how long you take to reach relief. On average, its 10-20 minutes, but most rely on the intensity of the massage and the period it takes to reach effect. Ideally, you may want to use it for 15 minutes; don’t use it above that as you may end up bruising your muscles. It’s also advisable to go for many short intervals instead of one session at a go.
Q: Can I wash my back massager and how?A: Washing your back massager can be challenging yet easy. Wipe it with a damp cloth after each to ensure it stays relatively clean. Also, in case you spill any liquid to your massager then its best to use a damp towel with some detergent to clean it. Never put it in a washing machine.
Q: Is it safe to use the heating feature on the back massagers and electric neck?A: Yes, it is safe. Besides, most of these units have a convenient timer that prevents the overuse of heat therapy. Their design also enables them to reach a safe and gentle temperature during use.
Q: Should I use my back massager over clothes or on bare skin?A: It depends on the massager. Some like handheld massagers are best for use in bare skin with oil or lotion applied. Others, like most massage cushions, are recommended for both bare skin and over cloths use. However, it’s best to use them over clothes as sweat and dead skin cells won’t stain them. Always follow the instructions in your device user manual to ensure you’re doing it correctly.
Q: How much does a back massager cost?A: The price of back massagers varies from a few dollars in small handheld wooden massagers to thousands of dollars in high-range massage chairs. It’s, therefore, upon you to get a massager that is right for you to use at the best price.
Q: Is a back massage cushion comfortable enough for me to sit in after finding a massage?A: Yes, cushion massagers are great to sit on while working but not so comfortable to sit in after a massage session.The good thing with back massagers is there are multiple types in the market, with each having their unique features and usability. We hope our guide will help you pick your ideal massage, one that has the features you need in massager. Whether your preferences are simplicity or luxury, you’ll love kneading away those stiff muscles. Meanwhile, the soothing heat will also melt away your pains and aches, giving the ultimate comfort you desire.